The BC Centre for Disease Control and Mycological Society is warning the public not to eat a poisonous strain of mushrooms. The invasive ‘death cap’ mushrooms have been found in urban areas of the lower mainland to the Fraser Valley. The mushrooms can cause severe cramping, diarrhea, liver and kidney damage or death when consumed.
These death cap mushrooms are not native to British Columbia, but were introduced from the roots of European trees that now line city streets.
“Given the trees they live in were planted in the 1960s and 70s, we are seeing more and more appear every year and we believe that trend will continue.” said Paul Kroeger with the Vancouver Mycological Society in a press release.
There has been an increase of poison control calls this season due to ideal rainy climate. Last year a child died of consumption in Victoria. If you have eaten the mushroom go to the hospital and call poison control immediately at 1-800-567-8911.